Problematic weather for sports

Senior+Tyler+Williams+hurdling+at+one+of+the+few+meets+that+the+boys+track+team+had+at+Brady+Street+Stadium.+
Senior Tyler Williams hurdling at one of the few meets that the boys track team had at Brady Street Stadium.

Kate Kealey

Kate Kealey

Emma Day, Social Media Manager

For the last couple of weeks there have been many cancellations for spring sports because of the cold weather. The sports that have had cancellations are boys and girls tennis, track, soccer and girls golf.

“When we don’t have a meet, we usually practice. Since the weather has been so bad, we have to make sure we come prepared for both,” senior Deshja Meyers said.

With all of the meets being cancelled, practices usually take their place. When the weather is bad, some of the sports teams practice inside.

“It’s kind of disappointing because you get hyped up for it, then it gets cancelled. On the other hand it’s nice that you don’t have to sit in the cold or rain,” junior tennis player Michael Chalupa said.

The meets are cancelled depending on temperature and precipitation. If the windchill is in the 20s or if there is excessive rain or in the 30s, it is more of a judgement call between all three athletic directors in Davenport.

Not only is it up to the athletic directors, but also the coaches of those sports.

In total, there has been one cancelled golf meet, one game for both boys and girls soccer, one boys tennis meet, two girls tennis meets, four boys track meets, and three girls track meets. There has  also been one girls golf and one girls tennis meet rescheduled.

“I’ve coached for 15 years and have been an athletic director for three,” Athletic Directer Kevin Peterson said. “This is the worst start of the spring season that I’ve seen in the last 18 years.”

About the Contributors
Emma Day, Marketing Director
Senior Emma Day is the Marketing Director for the Beak ‘n’ Eye newspaper staff. She posts on social media with updates on events/people, post links to stories and does shout outs for ads. For the 2018-2019 year Day plans to incorporate more into her role in newspaper. Her goal is to cover smaller events and have...
Kate Kealey, Editor in Chief
She may be a senior at West with a bright mind, but Kate Kealey is involved in many more ways than just being a student. For example, she takes on the role of being Editor in Chief for the Beak ‘n’ Eye. She is very excited for the responsibilty and opportunity that comes with this...
  • Problematic weather for sports

News

Fifty-eight students inducted into National Honors Society

• Problematic weather for sports

News

Welding students refurbish 9/11 memorial

• Problematic weather for sports

News

Pepper spray mishap sparks concern about safety

• Problematic weather for sports

News

Drumming up awareness to beat the stigma

• Problematic weather for sports

News

West’s Nest ready for new school year

Problematic weather for sports