Problematic weather for sports

Senior+Tyler+Williams+hurdling+at+one+of+the+few+meets+that+the+boys+track+team+had+at+Brady+Street+Stadium.+
Senior Tyler Williams hurdling at one of the few meets that the boys track team had at Brady Street Stadium.

Kate Kealey

Kate Kealey

Emma Day, Social Media Manager

For the last couple of weeks there have been many cancellations for spring sports because of the cold weather. The sports that have had cancellations are boys and girls tennis, track, soccer and girls golf.

“When we don’t have a meet, we usually practice. Since the weather has been so bad, we have to make sure we come prepared for both,” senior Deshja Meyers said.

With all of the meets being cancelled, practices usually take their place. When the weather is bad, some of the sports teams practice inside.

“It’s kind of disappointing because you get hyped up for it, then it gets cancelled. On the other hand it’s nice that you don’t have to sit in the cold or rain,” junior tennis player Michael Chalupa said.

The meets are cancelled depending on temperature and precipitation. If the windchill is in the 20s or if there is excessive rain or in the 30s, it is more of a judgement call between all three athletic directors in Davenport.

Not only is it up to the athletic directors, but also the coaches of those sports.

In total, there has been one cancelled golf meet, one game for both boys and girls soccer, one boys tennis meet, two girls tennis meets, four boys track meets, and three girls track meets. There has  also been one girls golf and one girls tennis meet rescheduled.

“I’ve coached for 15 years and have been an athletic director for three,” Athletic Directer Kevin Peterson said. “This is the worst start of the spring season that I’ve seen in the last 18 years.”

About the Contributors
Emma Day, Marketing Director

Senior Emma Day is the Marketing Director for the Beak ‘n’ Eye newspaper staff. She posts on social media with updates on events/people, post links to stories and does shout outs for ads.

For the 2018-2019 year Day plans to incorporate more into her role in newspaper. Her goal is to cover smaller events and have a wider coverage.

Other than newspaper, Day enjoys to watch YouTube, hangout with her drama club and show choir friends (although she isn’t involved in either) and write.

If Day could change the world in one way, she would make it a better place in general, where everyone feels respected and equal.

Day plans on attending Scott Community College in the fall of 2019 for two years to get her associate’s degree. After that, she plans on transferring to the University of Iowa to get her masters in psychology as well.

After all her schooling she wants to live in Tennessee to become a Mental Health Therapist. Tennessee is Day’s happy place that feels like home because she has visited since she was little.

Her dream is to have a tiny house with a white picket fence around her 1 or 2 acre yard. She plans to have dogs, ducks, pigs, and many other types of animals.

Day is also huge music addict. She listens to all types of music depending on her mood. Her selection can go from rap, to pop or bands, to 80’s rock, or even musicals.

Written by Naomi Walker

Kate Kealey, Editor in Chief

She may be a senior at West with a bright mind, but Kate Kealey is involved in many more ways than just being a student. For example, she takes on the role of being Editor in Chief for the Beak ‘n’ Eye. She is very excited for the responsibilty and opportunity that comes with this position.

Kealey participates on the track team and she has done it ever since 6th grade.

Kealey loves being ‘in charge of staff but it is a lot of work to get the paper edited and looking really good.

For Kealey, spreading the love of journalism and helping other staff members see that is very important to her. She also enjoys the responsibility and stress that comes with editing the newspaper.

Written by Tyler Newman

• Problematic weather for sports

News

Midterm election causes mixed emotions

• Problematic weather for sports

News

A step forward

• Problematic weather for sports

Features

Clean water courtesy of West

• Problematic weather for sports

News

Students compete in cyberpatriot competition

• Problematic weather for sports

News

West drives home the Student Hunger Drive

Problematic weather for sports