Boys track team goes to Drake

Keenan Dolan  is one of the four legs in the 3200 meter relay that qualified for the Drake Relays.

Keenan Dolan is one of the four legs in the 3200 meter relay that qualified for the Drake Relays.

Kate Kealey

Kate Kealey

Joseph Potts, Reporter

On Thursday, Apr. 19, Davenport West’s track teams won six events in the A Division at the Bettendorf ABC Track Invitational. Senior Andrew Wright won the 1600 meter and junior Kameron Morgan took the win for the 3200 meter race. This will be the first time coach Marty Leal will take a 3200 meter relay team to Drake in his 16 years working as a coach. 

“It feels good,” Wright said. “It feels better when you are able to go for your coach [or] a person you really care about.”

The team practiced for speed runs such as the 600 meters in tempo pace. Tempo pace is a faster paced workout that improves metabolic fitness while helping to remind runners to ‘kick’ the last 200 meters.

“We all work as a team and we wanted to be at the top of the level where people [would] talk about us,” Morgan said.

Currently, the boys team is preparing for the Drake Relays throughout the week by working out and keeping their body in shape, while also staying mentally focused. Drake Relays is a three-day race that starts Thursday. The team is going up tonight to get a lay of the land. 

“Originally, I wasn’t interested in it [track] until my junior year. I just thought I go out for it and my last year was a lot of fun so this year I wanted to do it again,” Anfinson said. “And my coach is always talking to me about being part of a four-way team or the shuttle hurdle team and possibly making state, and the idea of qualifying for Drake didn’t come into mind until we ran at Jessie Day and happen to run a great time, so we just went with that.”

About the Contributors
Joseph Potts, Reporter
Joseph Potts is a junior and a reporter for the Beak ‘n’ Eye. He likes the color green, has a passion for art, and hopes to be a cartoonist one day. As a newcomer to the Beak ‘n’ Eye, Joe hopes to bring unique and interesting ideas to the site and shed light on overlooked...
Kate Kealey, Editor in Chief
She may be a senior at West with a bright mind, but Kate Kealey is involved in many more ways than just being a student. For example, she takes on the role of being Editor in Chief for the Beak ‘n’ Eye. She is very excited for the responsibilty and opportunity that comes with this...
  • Boys track team goes to Drake

Multimedia

Freshman volleyball takes a win over Assumption

• Boys track team goes to Drake

Columns

Friday night fights

• Boys track team goes to Drake

News

Problematic weather for sports

• Boys track team goes to Drake

Sports

Co-ed track takes on Jesse Days

• Boys track team goes to Drake

News

Soccer holds trivia night for new scoreboard

Boys track team goes to Drake