Boys track team goes to Drake

Back to Article
Back to Article

Boys track team goes to Drake

Keenan Dolan  is one of the four legs in the 3200 meter relay that qualified for the Drake Relays.

Keenan Dolan is one of the four legs in the 3200 meter relay that qualified for the Drake Relays.

Kate Kealey

Kate Kealey

Kate Kealey

Joseph Potts, Reporter

On Thursday, Apr. 19, Davenport West’s track teams won six events in the A Division at the Bettendorf ABC Track Invitational. Senior Andrew Wright won the 1600 meter and junior Kameron Morgan took the win for the 3200 meter race. This will be the first time coach Marty Leal will take a 3200 meter relay team to Drake in his 16 years working as a coach. 

“It feels good,” Wright said. “It feels better when you are able to go for your coach [or] a person you really care about.”

The team practiced for speed runs such as the 600 meters in tempo pace. Tempo pace is a faster paced workout that improves metabolic fitness while helping to remind runners to ‘kick’ the last 200 meters.

“We all work as a team and we wanted to be at the top of the level where people [would] talk about us,” Morgan said.

Currently, the boys team is preparing for the Drake Relays throughout the week by working out and keeping their body in shape, while also staying mentally focused. Drake Relays is a three-day race that starts Thursday. The team is going up tonight to get a lay of the land. 

“Originally, I wasn’t interested in it [track] until my junior year. I just thought I go out for it and my last year was a lot of fun so this year I wanted to do it again,” Anfinson said. “And my coach is always talking to me about being part of a four-way team or the shuttle hurdle team and possibly making state, and the idea of qualifying for Drake didn’t come into mind until we ran at Jessie Day and happen to run a great time, so we just went with that.”

About the Contributors
Joseph Potts, Reporter

Senior and reporter Joseph Potts is a very optimistic student who lives his life grateful to be alive each and everyday. He enjoys time outdoors especially...

Kate Kealey, Editor in Chief

She may be a senior at West with a bright mind, but Kate Kealey is involved in many more ways than just being a student. For example, she takes on the...

• Boys track team goes to Drake

Showcase

Wings of winter

• Boys track team goes to Drake

Award Winners

Bowling team rolls on

• Boys track team goes to Drake

Showcase

Wrestling at West

• Boys track team goes to Drake

Dance

Dance team dismantles gender stereotypes

• Boys track team goes to Drake

Showcase

Winter sports kick off excites Falcon athletes

Boys track team goes to Drake