Challenging hunger

West continues to fight hunger in the 2018 student hunger drive

Kate Kealey

Themes throughout the week will be ‘Merica Monday, country vs. country club Tuesday, out of this world Wednesday, and mathletes and athletes Thursday.

Kate Kealey, Editor in Chief

West’s Student Senate finishes up the third week of the Student Hunger Drive. Each week until the drive is over, Student Senate will host a different challenge and goal to meet all to raise money and food to end hunger.

Oct. 8-12’s challenge was to raise $1500. To help meet this goal staff members did class challenges. Social studies teachers Aaron Cousins and Joe Flaherty are seeing which of their classes can raise the most money. If a class raises $50 Flaherty, will buy them pizza but if they raise $100 he will buy the class dessert as well. However, this act of charity was not his idea.

“My mentor and north star Aaron Cousins paved the way for me and I would do anything I can to be like Aaron Cousins,” Flaherty said.

From Oct. 15-19 there will be themes for people to dress up as to show their hunger drive spirit. On Friday teachers can donate $5 dollars to be able to wear jeans, and students can donate $1 to wear a hat.

West met week one’s challenges resulting in Principal Cory Williams being duct taped to the wall outside of the athletics office. On top of classes donating money, the goal was met by an anonymous staff donation of $300.

Student Senate adviser Annie Perez collect 60,000 pounds of cans, but administration is asking for more monetary donation.

“Cans are welcomed, however, we can buy more food with money,” Perez said.

For every $10, 15 pounds of food could be purchased. After meeting the week one challenge, West has generated 2,250 pounds of food. Every weekend for the month of October, Student Senate and other school clubs will be collecting money at the Hy-vee on West Locust Street.

On Oct. 6  Student Senate worked from 9-12 raising $301, from 12-3 the boys basketball teams raised $410. At the end of the month, the school with the most pounds of foods will win the Student Hunger Drive.

“I got nice kids. They want to donate money and they should be rewarded,” Cousins said.