District budget reduction plan passed

Davenport School Board votes 4-3 to pass five year budget reduction plan

Created using Canva.com

Created using Canva.com

Aiden Rushing

Aiden Rushing

Created using Canva.com

Emma Bernick, Media Editor

On Tuesday Sept. 4, a special call school board meeting was held in the new Davenport Community School District board room located in the re-purposed J.B. Young school building. The meeting was called to approve the five year budget reduction plan created by the district administration, including Chief Financial Officer Claudia Wood.

The plan passed in a close 4-3 vote.

The plan must be delivered to the School Budget Review Committee (SBRC) by Sept. 15 for the hearing deadline. However, many directors stressed the difficulty of making a finalized budget decision on a plan lacking in specification.

“We all are very frustrated with this. I’m very hesitant to vote with projected numbers. We are constantly tweaking, but I do appreciate the fact that the numbers have to go in soon,” School Board Vice President Linda Hayes said during the meeting.

One of the most controversial topics in the budget is outsourcing, where the distrcit hires outside source to fufill duties, which is supposed to make it’s introduction into the budget during the 2019-2020 school year.

“The idea of outsourcing is to provide the same level of services for a reduced cost. It is my estimation that we will be able to find savings in that,” Superintendent Dr. Art Tate said during the meeting.

Some strongly opposed this part of the plan due to the affect it may have on finances in the future.

“I’m not for outsourcing at all. I never will be. It might be cheaper on the front end, but later on it is going to cost us more. Once we let something go it is a lot harder and cost a lot more to get back,” School Board Director Daniel Gosa said during the meeting.

An often-discussed possibility in the budget reduction plan is the possibility of closing or merging an elementary school. The merging of an intermediate and elementary school would create an estimated savings of $800,000 to $1,300,000. However, no firm decisions have been made by the school board.

“My belief is that [people] are going to hold our feet to the fire. They expect the board to take this seriously. There are certain things that have been suggested in [the budget plan] that seem pretty serious, but it seems that the board has not taken the idea of closing a school or consolidating two schools in a serious enough way to say that they are going to do it,” School Board President Ralph Johanson shared during the meeting.

The board also voted on approving a request for Modified Supplemental Amount in the amount of $4,056,342 from the Iowa Department of Education, to which the board voted a unanimous yes.

About the Contributors
Emma Bernick, Media Editor

Emma Bernick is a senior and is the Media Editor for WHSToday. She loves being able to share her ideas and thoughts through student journalism. She enjoys writing news and opinion pieces. Emma has a passion for science and public health, and she plans to pursue a career in the medical field. She also loves to travel and hopes to find a way to incorporate it into her future.

Aiden Rushing, Reporter

Junior Aiden Rushing is currently a reporter and graphic designer for the Beak ‘n’ Eye. A former prodigy in long division, baseball and spinning on his head, Aiden is a man of many talents.

Aiden has a passion for creating things. He sees himself more as a creator than creative. He has always been fascinated with things like photoshop and graphic design because it fuels a desire in him to make or build things. He expresses his artistic talents in the charts and posters he has done for the staff or fun pictures of a teacher as movie characters. This passion was so great that it eventually lead to him getting a award for his efforts.

When he is not designing artwork for the newspaper, he is reporting on stories happening around the school. Whether it be about the Speech and Debate team heading to Nationals, a teacher retiring after 38 years of teaching or just showcasing West’s finest, Aiden is always giving it his all in what he does.

A man that doesn’t care what you think about him or what he has to say and as cool and thick as a snail, Aiden spends his free time practicing playing his acoustic electric guitar, which is a tradition cared on by his grandfather and his father, eating sushi at Fuggis, going to the gym and spending time with his family.

Written by Joseph Potts

• District budget reduction plan passed

News

Midterm election causes mixed emotions

• District budget reduction plan passed

News

A step forward

• District budget reduction plan passed

Features

Clean water courtesy of West

• District budget reduction plan passed

News

Students compete in cyberpatriot competition

• District budget reduction plan passed

News

West drives home the Student Hunger Drive

District budget reduction plan passed