District budget reduction plan passed

Davenport School Board votes 4-3 to pass five year budget reduction plan

Created using Canva.com

Created using Canva.com

Aiden Rushing

Aiden Rushing

Created using Canva.com

Emma Bernick, Media Editor

On Tuesday Sept. 4, a special call school board meeting was held in the new Davenport Community School District board room located in the repurposed J.B. Young school building. The meeting was called to approve the five year budget reduction plan created by the district administration, including Chief Financial Officer Claudia Wood.

The plan passed in a close 4-3 vote.

The plan must be delivered to the School Budget Review Committee (SBRC) by Sept. 15 for the hearing deadline. However, many directors stressed the difficulty of making a finalized budget decision on a plan lacking in specification.

“We all are very frustrated with this. I’m very hesitant to vote with projected numbers. We are constantly tweaking, but I do appreciate the fact that the numbers have to go in soon,” School Board Vice President Linda Hayes said during the meeting.

One of the most controversial topics in the budget is outsourcing, where the distrcit hires outside source to fufill duties, which is supposed to make it’s introduction into the budget during the 2019-2020 school year.

“The idea of outsourcing is to provide the same level of services for a reduced cost. It is my estimation that we will be able to find savings in that,” Superintendent Dr. Art Tate said during the meeting.

Some strongly opposed this part of the plan due to the affect it may have on finances in the future.

“I’m not for outsourcing at all. I never will be. It might be cheaper on the front end, but later on it is going to cost us more. Once we let something go it is a lot harder and cost a lot more to get back,” School Board Director Daniel Gosa said during the meeting.

An often-discussed possibility in the budget reduction plan is the possibility of closing or merging an elementary school. The merging of an intermediate and elementary school would create an estimated savings of $800,000 to $1,300,000. However, no firm decisions have been made by the school board.

“My belief is that [people] are going to hold our feet to the fire. They expect the board to take this seriously. There are certain things that have been suggested in [the budget plan] that seem pretty serious, but it seems that the board has not taken the idea of closing a school or consolidating two schools in a serious enough way to say that they are going to do it,” School Board President Ralph Johanson shared during the meeting.

The board also voted on approving a request for Modified Supplemental Amount in the amount of $4,056,342 from the Iowa Department of Education, to which the board voted a unanimous yes.

About the Contributors
Emma Bernick, Media Editor
Emma Bernick is a senior and is Media Editor for the Beak ‘n’ Eye. She loves being able to share her ideas and thoughts through the Beak ‘n’ Eye. She enjoys writing news and opinion pieces. Emma has a passion for science and public health, and she plans to pursue a career in the medical...
Aiden Rushing, Reporter
Junior Aiden Rushing is currently a reporter and graphic designer for the Beak ‘n’ Eye. A former prodigy in long division, baseball and spinning on his head, Aiden is a man of many talents. Aiden has a passion for creating things. He sees himself more as a creator than creative. He has always been fascinated...
  • District budget reduction plan passed

News

Fifty-eight students inducted into National Honors Society

• District budget reduction plan passed

News

Welding students refurbish 9/11 memorial

• District budget reduction plan passed

News

Pepper spray mishap sparks concern about safety

• District budget reduction plan passed

News

Drumming up awareness to beat the stigma

• District budget reduction plan passed

News

West’s Nest ready for new school year

District budget reduction plan passed