2018 boys track places at State

Seniors+Tyler+Williams%2C+Darnell+Mosley%2C+Brady+Richlen%2C+and+junior+Anthony+King+pose+for+a+picture+after+placing+sixth+in+the+shuttle+hurdle+relay+at+the+State+meet.+
Seniors Tyler Williams, Darnell Mosley, Brady Richlen, and junior Anthony King pose for a picture after placing sixth in the shuttle hurdle relay at the State meet.

Photo published with permission by Kate Kealey

Naomi Walker, Report

On May 17-19, boys state track state was held at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa where four of West’s runners placed.

Seniors Brady Richlen, Tyler Williams, Darnell Mosley, and junior Anthony King placed sixth in the shuttle hurdle relay.

“Breaking the school record was crazy to me because I didn’t think I would ever be able to do something like that,” King said.

The four boys beat the school record for shuttle hurdle relay. The previous record was 58.72. The boys beat the record with 58.33.

“I have been running track for four years. It all just came into place. Everything got put together and we placed,” Mosley said.

Not many students were able to go cheer on their school but a couple did, including junior Kate Kealey and senior Savanah Strunk.

“It felt really good to see our school place. It was kind of a sense of accomplishment that our team from our school is actually succeeding and being one of the best in the state,” Strunk said.

Mosley also competed in the 1600 medley, long jump, and 4/100 meter relay and placed fourth in long jump.

“Getting fourth in long jump was my favorite part. For the past two years when I qualified for state, I didn’t place at all. But this year I was finally placing,” Mosley said. “I had a problem all season with long jump because I didn’t get my feet out in front of me and at the state meet it happened again and I lost by 1 ½ inches from first.”

The track team worked out all season and competed at meets in preparation for this state competition.

“I feel like the boys did really well actually. The shuttle hurdle team did more than expected so that was really great and I am really proud and happy that they did that,” Strunk said.

About the Writer
Naomi Walker, Co-Media Editor and Business Manager
Senior Naomi Walker is currently a Co-Media Editor and Business Manager for the West High Beak ‘n’ Eye. Walker is a little undecided when it comes to what she wants to do in the future. She believes she either wants to go to Purdue University in Indiana or Iowa State University. At either of those...
  • 2018 boys track places at State

News

Fifty-eight students inducted into National Honors Society

• 2018 boys track places at State

News

Welding students refurbish 9/11 memorial

• 2018 boys track places at State

News

Pepper spray mishap sparks concern about safety

• 2018 boys track places at State

News

Drumming up awareness to beat the stigma

• 2018 boys track places at State

News

West’s Nest ready for new school year

2018 boys track places at State