2018 boys track places at State

Seniors+Tyler+Williams%2C+Darnell+Mosley%2C+Brady+Richlen%2C+and+junior+Anthony+King+pose+for+a+picture+after+placing+sixth+in+the+shuttle+hurdle+relay+at+the+State+meet.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

2018 boys track places at State

Seniors Tyler Williams, Darnell Mosley, Brady Richlen, and junior Anthony King pose for a picture after placing sixth in the shuttle hurdle relay at the State meet.

Photo published with permission by Kate Kealey

Naomi Walker, Report

On May 17-19, boys state track state was held at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa where four of West’s runners placed.

Seniors Brady Richlen, Tyler Williams, Darnell Mosley, and junior Anthony King placed sixth in the shuttle hurdle relay.

“Breaking the school record was crazy to me because I didn’t think I would ever be able to do something like that,” King said.

The four boys beat the school record for shuttle hurdle relay. The previous record was 58.72. The boys beat the record with 58.33.

“I have been running track for four years. It all just came into place. Everything got put together and we placed,” Mosley said.

Not many students were able to go cheer on their school but a couple did, including junior Kate Kealey and senior Savanah Strunk.

“It felt really good to see our school place. It was kind of a sense of accomplishment that our team from our school is actually succeeding and being one of the best in the state,” Strunk said.

Mosley also competed in the 1600 medley, long jump, and 4/100 meter relay and placed fourth in long jump.

“Getting fourth in long jump was my favorite part. For the past two years when I qualified for state, I didn’t place at all. But this year I was finally placing,” Mosley said. “I had a problem all season with long jump because I didn’t get my feet out in front of me and at the state meet it happened again and I lost by 1 ½ inches from first.”

The track team worked out all season and competed at meets in preparation for this state competition.

“I feel like the boys did really well actually. The shuttle hurdle team did more than expected so that was really great and I am really proud and happy that they did that,” Strunk said.

About the Writer
Naomi Walker, Social Media and Business Manager

Senior Naomi Walker is the Marketing Director for the West High Beak ‘n’ Eye, making her responsible for the newpaper's social media accounts and...

• 2018 boys track places at State

News

German Club offers immersive opportunities for students

• 2018 boys track places at State

News

Band department hosts trivia fundraiser

• 2018 boys track places at State

News

District under fire for overspending and discrimination

• 2018 boys track places at State

News

Formulating fall festivities

• 2018 boys track places at State

News

Davenport schools host German exchange students

2018 boys track places at State