Winter at West

West celebrating before Christmas Break

This+is+the+freshmans+hallway+for+Deck+The+Halls.+They+decorated+the+halls+on+Monday+to+start+off+the+weeks+festivities.+

Isabella Martens

This is the freshmans hallway for Deck The Halls. They decorated the halls on Monday to start off the week’s festivities.

Isabella Martens, Editor

Student Senate has put in the work to make West’s last week before winter break as exciting as possible. They planned a Lip Sync Battle, Deck the Halls, Candy Cane Grams, and Spirit Week. This last full week of school can feel long, but these fun activities are here to help the student body finish strong. 

Three groups of teachers were chosen to compete in a lip sync battle. The teachers had about two weeks to plan their routines. They not only sang, but also incorporated props and costumes. This competition raised 1,300 dollars for the Hunger Drive. 

“The lip sync battle winners win a trophy and bragging rights,” sophomore Air Plies said.

Another activity Senate planned was Deck The Halls.  The committee in charge picked a Christmas movie for each grade level and assigned it a hallway. Seniors had The Polar Express, juniors had Christmas Vacation, sophomores had The Grinch, and freshmen had Frosty The Snowman.

“Senate created the decorations and we worked with the student body to put them around the building,” sophomore Aaron Clinton said.

As students and staff walked around the building this week they saw lots of art around the hallways. Each grade used a different decorating technique for their hallway.

“I like it, I think it’s really cute and fun. To me, it brings holiday cheer and I love that they used our names as decorations,” junior Morgan Hauschild said.

The last activity Senate planned before break was Spirit Week. Monday was cozy pajamas, Tuesday was holiday colors, Wednesday was holiday socks, Thursday was festive flannels, and Friday was ugly sweaters. 

“There are multiple committees for certain things and one of them is in charge of picking spirit days. To get the word out we make posters and use canva to post on social media,” Plies said.

Overall, these activities kept the student body busy during their last week before break. After ‘no school November’ it can be hard to keep up attendance during full weeks of school. Having fun activities to look forward to can make the week go by faster. 

“We planned these activities to make school a fun environment, have stuff to look forward to at school, get people in the Christmas mood, and get everyone involved in school activities,” junior Sydney Westerhof said.