“Friday night lights” dim for seniors

The game’s theme was Pink Out, and students dressed up to show their support.

TJ Rhodes, Reporter

The Falcons played the Western Dubuque Epworth football team in the final home game of 2017 Thursday, Oct. 12.

It was senior night honoring the current 15 seniors on the team. These seniors are Adam Letts, Richie Quandt, Jacen Petersen, Josh Kopp, Alex Hunt, CJ Busch, Derrick Olcott, Dawson Vanwinkle, Kyle Oberbroeckling, DJ Mosley, Jaylyn Johnson, Derek Lillyblade, Tyler Williams, Riley McIntyre and Jeremiah Weise.

“It’s crazy to think that next week is already the last game of my senior year,” Punter and linebacker Lillyblade said.  “I wish it didn’t have to end but I’m just glad my last game ever is with this team and this school.”

Dubuque scored a touchdown but failed to convert a two-point conversion after almost five minutes into the quarter. But West fired back scoring a touchdown and getting the point less than a minute later from a 60-yard dash.

After another Dubuque touchdown, making the score 13-7, West could not stop the Epworth offense from there. Dubuque scored again to start the second quarter. Senior Tyler Williams scored after he reversed fields to score a 10-yard touchdown.

The score was 20-13.

“I’ve been able to make people know who I am when we play other teams,” running back and safety Williams said. “That game brought back all of the memories I gained from the four years of playing at Brady and for this team.”

From this moment on, the Falcons struggled to move the ball on the Dubuque defense and they scored an additional 20 points to beat the Falcons 40-13.

“I have figured out how to use all of my strengths on the field and how to play as a team player,” linebacker Letts said.

West has one more game left in their season next Friday against North Scott at North Scott.

The current record is 1-7.

“I try to be [a leader] whenever I can,” linebacker Johnson said. “I’m not the only one who plays a part in leading this team. Never being able to suit up again or step out onto the field is disappointing.”

Reality has kicked in for seniors as they know for sure that next week is the last time they will be able to play in a “Friday night lights” game.

“It hurts man. I grew a bond with my brothers on the football team and to know that I might never be able to step on the field again after next week just kills me. I’m going to miss my brothers,” lineman Quandt said.