The Finish Line

West is represented at 2022 state track meet

Photo via @DAVWestFalcons

Several of West’s track state qualifiers pose for a picture.

Alec Shipley, Web Editor

The 2022 track season has come and gone. The Iowa High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) state meet was held from May 19-21 at Drake Stadium in Des Moines, Iowa. Top track athletes from all over Iowa met in Des Moines to compete in this meet for a chance to become the best in Iowa.

West was represented well in this meet, with a total of 15 athletes competing. West athletes held positions in events in both short and long distance races, high jump, hurdles, and relays. Much preparation was needed from all of the athletes who competed, ensuring they were ready to go all out for the final meet of the year. Sophomore Idris Thomas competed in high jump and brought home a bronze medal, winning third place.

“I prepared by making sure I was ready for the competition because there are a lot of great jumpers,” Thomas said. “It was really great competition and makes me want to work harder in the off season.”

Every athlete knows that there are hardships both on and off the field. The track teams both encountered these several times throughout the season, but did not let them get in the way of their goals.

“This season was difficult. Our numbers were low and we had multiple injuries. It’s always hard to be in a team sport without a large team,” junior and member of girls shuttle hurdle relay team Isabel Sinksen said.

West had several veteran athletes that qualified and returned for the state tournament. Senior NaZion Caruthers qualified for state two years in a row, and participated in the 100, 200, and 400 meter dash.

“The experience was great and fun. I’m glad I was able to compete at a high level,” Caruthers said.

Overall, the 2022 state track meet was successful for the West athletes who competed. Bonds were created between teammates as they fought their way to victory together. The track teams now look to flip the page and begin preparing for next season.

“It’s always such a great feeling running at Drake stadium. It always makes me realize what amazing teammates I have. It makes me appreciate them more than I already do,” Sinksen said.