Co-ed track takes on Jesse Days

Graphic by Aiden Rushing from Piktochart.com

Aiden Rushing, Reporter

Results update:

• Men’s team placed third overall with 108 points
  • Women’s team placed last overall with 9 points

On Apr. 12, the annual Jesse Days co-ed track meet will be held at Brady Street Stadium with teams from North Scott, Pleasant Valley, Bettendorf, Davenport Central, Muscatine, and Assumption High Schools attending.  Jesse Days is a track meet that decides whether or not runners will qualify for the Drake Relays.

Gym teacher and new track coach Dakota LaMaack has been working hard with the girls track team by practicing everyday after school.

“A couple goals would be to cut down on some of our [the track team] times from indoor meets. We’ve only had one opportunity to run outside so far because of the weather, so it’ll be great to see us run in warm weather hopefully,” LaMaack said. “A lot of the girls really work hard everyday at practice and consistency is really key in any sport… keeping the girls coming regularly really does help the team,” she said.

Other members of the track team have set high goals for themselves at Jesse Days, such as senior Darnell Mosley, who has been involved in track since seventh grade.

Some of his goals for Jesse Days include winning long jump and doing well in all of the events he is in.

“In long jump, my personal record right now is 22 feet 1 inch and a half,” Mosley said.

He hopes to improve his personal record along with the warm weather.

Senior Savanah Strunk has been involved in track since the seventh grade.

“My goal is to hopefully qualify one of our relays for Drake–that’s a big deal to us–and hit PR’s because this will be our first outdoor meet that actually has nice weather,” Strunk said.

According to LaMaack, all of the runners have been working hard everyday since the track season started in Nov. to keep improving and making new personal records for themselves in each of their events.

About the Writer
Aiden Rushing, Reporter

Junior Aiden Rushing is currently a reporter and graphic designer for the Beak ‘n’ Eye. A former prodigy in long division, baseball and spinning on his head, Aiden is a man of many talents.

Aiden has a passion for creating things. He sees himself more as a creator than creative. He has always been fascinated with things like photoshop and graphic design because it fuels a desire in him to make or build things. He expresses his artistic talents in the charts and posters he has done for the staff or fun pictures of a teacher as movie characters. This passion was so great that it eventually lead to him getting a award for his efforts.

When he is not designing artwork for the newspaper, he is reporting on stories happening around the school. Whether it be about the Speech and Debate team heading to Nationals, a teacher retiring after 38 years of teaching or just showcasing West’s finest, Aiden is always giving it his all in what he does.

A man that doesn’t care what you think about him or what he has to say and as cool and thick as a snail, Aiden spends his free time practicing playing his acoustic electric guitar, which is a tradition cared on by his grandfather and his father, eating sushi at Fuggis, going to the gym and spending time with his family.

Written by Joseph Potts

• Co-ed track takes on Jesse Days

Multimedia

Freshman volleyball takes a win over Assumption

• Co-ed track takes on Jesse Days

Columns

Friday night fights

• Co-ed track takes on Jesse Days

Sports

Boys track team goes to Drake

• Co-ed track takes on Jesse Days

News

Problematic weather for sports

• Co-ed track takes on Jesse Days

News

Soccer holds trivia night for new scoreboard

Co-ed track takes on Jesse Days