West hosts annual winter sports kickoff

The Diamond Dancers perform at the winter sports kick off before announcing state competitions are Nov. 30.

Brooke Netcott

Brooke Netcott

Haley Newcomb, Assistant Media Editor

The winter sports kickoff was held in the auditorium on Nov. 16. Athletic director Kevin Petersen recognized fall sport athletes for academic awards and introduced this year’s winter sports teams.

The Diamond Dancers performed and announced they are headed to state Nov. 30.

Volleyball all-conference winners were senior Sara Weisrock and  junior Dani Reitz. The academic winners were senior Kassie Crow, senior Abby Ratermann, senior Sara Weisrock, senior Hannah Jones, junior Tori Dierks, junior Lauren Oostendorp, junior Emily Ratermann, junior Leah Anderson, junior Alexa Glandon and junior Baylee Kronfeld.

Boys cross country had state qualifier and all-conference senior Andrew Wright. The academic winners were senior Andrew Wright, senior Chane Eckhardt, senior Michael Anfinson, junior Nick Nahnybida, junior Brett Wisor, junior Alex Schwindt and junior Jordan Grabert.

Girls cross country academic winners were senior Courtney Harris, senior Pam Friede, senior Savanah Strunk and junior Kate Kealey.

The boys golf academic winner was junior Kyle Mattson.

Football all-district winners were senior Riley McIntyre and senior DJ Mosley. Football academic winners senior Tyler Williams, senior Riley McIntyre, senior Dawson Vanwinkle, senior Alex Hunt, senior Adam Gibson, junior Dalton Carstens, junior Jack Reis and junior Sebastian Frick.

Girls swimming and diving all-conference winners were state and Swimmer of the Year in the MAC conference senior Courtney Schaffer and freshman Tianna Negron. Girls swimming and diving academic winners were senior Courtney Schaffer and senior Madison Cousins.

Cheer performed West’s fight song and competition was recognized for their accomplishments at state. Coed stunt performance placed first out of three teams, and consisted of junior Miranda Schwien, senior Aaron Gilliland and senior Ricky Vance. The girls group consisting of junior Naomi Walker, senior Anna Hazelett, senior Gracie Gutierrez and sophomore Katie Roseman placed second. Overall, the team placed fourth at state.

After the cheer team’s performance the winter sports teams were called up and introduced. Each coach has an announcement for the team and gave a short speech.

Girls and boys bowling have their first meet Nov. 27. They have been preparing for the past two weeks, coach Mark Schlichting said.

“I’m most looking forward to our meets and being on varsity this season,” sophomore bowler Erica Henderson said.

Head wrestling coach Jim Weisrock expressed that his team is working hard and looking forward to improvement for the season.

“It’s great seeing the whole team work hard and get better day by day,” assistant coach Ryan Degeeter.

Wrestling is preparing for state in February.

Swimming coach Mike Wells says boys swimming is gearing up for first meet of three on Nov. 30.

Girls basketball coach Frank Dexter said the team faced changes this season, but he is looking forward to improving.

“This season I’m looking forward to the bus rides because it is the team’s hype time and we constantly crack jokes on the way to our games and back,” sophomore player Chandra Duyvejonck said.

The boys basketball team had a large turnout for tryouts.

“Seventy boys tried out for this season, but 49 made the cut. With last season’s experience of close losses, this has given us an edge to change the course of this season,” boys basketball head coach Mark Bigler said.

After Bigler’s words, he then lead the audience in a cheer of his own before Peterson stepped in and announced where the parent meetings for each sport would be held after the assembly.

About the Contributors
Haley Newcomb, Reporter
Haley Newcomb is a reporter for the Beak ‘n’ Eye and is a sophomore. This is her first year on staff and she is looking forward to it. In her free time she loves to listen to music, hang out with her friends, and go shopping. Her passion is to writing and she aspires to...
Brooke Netcott, Reporter
Brooke Netcott is a sophomore and it is her first year on the staff for the Beak ‘n’ Eye. During her free time she loves to read, spending time with her friends and doing gymnastics. She is really looking forward to being on the newspaper staff this year!
  • News

Fall sports kickoff generates optimism for Falcon Nation

• West hosts annual winter sports kickoff

News

Public forum held to address school closures

News

Falcon Nest continues to grow

News

2018 graduates prepare to walk the stage

• News

2018 Falcon graduates enjoy senior picnic

News

2018 boys track places at State

News

2018 Charity Week recap

News

Charity Week: Freddy Falcon pageant

News

Anatomy and Physiology students visit cadaver lab

News

Charity Week: Disney Day

West hosts annual winter sports kickoff