Hitting the greens

Boys' golf competes in their third meet at Glynn's Creek

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hitting the greens

Haley Newcomb, Reporter

On Monday, Aug. 21, the boys’ golf team played at Glynn’s Creek Golf Course in Long Grove. The team arrived to play at the course at 8 a.m., but teed off later than expected due to rain. They played alongside golfers from Western Dubuque, Clinton and Muscatine for 18 holes.

The boys practice everyday and are working hard to improve their individual and team skills.

“I need to work on hitting the ball straight because it helps a lot,” sophomore Zach Stasz said.

Stasz has been playing golf since he was five. He has been on the golf team for two years alongside senior Axel Sade.

“I joined golf because it’s something to do, but I’d be playing hockey if I wasn’t,”  Sade said.

To join the golf team, the boys had to tryout on Aug. 7, where they played 18 holes while being judged by former Falcon golfers. Once the varsity and JV teams were set, they played four days later at their first meet.

Coach Chad Wolf has coached for nine years at West, and shared his hopes for this season.

“This season I’m hoping to help them improve their game, get them excited to play, and to just have some fun,” Wolf said.

Glynn’s Creek was the varsity team’s third meet. The next meet is on Wednesday, Aug. 30 at 9 a.m. in Emeis Golf Course.