Filed under News

Falcon Nest continues to grow

Social worker Jennifer O'Hare has been working to improve the food pantry to ensure that all students and community members have any necessities they need.

On Tuesday morning, May 29 the Falcon Nest laid a new sidewalk leading to the entrance of the pantry. The food pantry started at the beginning of the 2017/2018 school year and has expanded to providing clothes, prom dresses, and a place where students can do laundry.

Junior Presley Roseman believes that the new sidewalk is a big step for the Nest.

“I think it is a big improvement and will help the school out a lot because right now when families come in, there are just a few bricks for them to walk on. Some of the families that come are disabled, so it is rough for them to get in and out, and it looks like we don’t care about them. Having a sidewalk makes the pantry look more professional and more like a store instead of a corner door,” Roseman said.

Roseman helps the pantry by being involved in Student Senate as well as taking time out of her day to assist with organizing the clothing and unloading the food from the food bank and putting it into the freezers. Roseman is assisted by social worker Jennifer O’Hare, creator of the Falcon Nest.

“The pantry builds community within West High School because we help provide for our own. It gives students, staff, and families a chance to help each other out, and it helps fill gaps when people need assistance,” O’Hare said.

Over the summer, the pantry will not be running due to school construction but is planning to pick back up once it is finished in August. Student Senate will be running for four terms instead of two, and they plan to dedicate their work towards serving the Falcon Nest.

Student Senate advisor Christine Coyne-Logan hopes to use Senate to improve the Falcon Nest even more.

“Our mission statement is to work with the administration, staff, and community in matters affecting the welfare of the student body and to encourage leadership through service, and what better way to offer leadership opportunities to our students senators than working with the Falcon Nest at West High School,” Coyne Logan said.

Students can donate to the pantry with items such as food, clothes, feminine hygiene products, toothbrushes, and notes by contacting O’Hare or Roseman.

“We have a lot of students at our school that need the pantry just to get through the week, and although you might not notice them, there are a lot of students that do. Without the food pantry they could not excel in academics as well,” Roseman said.

About the Contributor
Kate Kealey, Editor in Chief

She may be a senior at West with a bright mind, but Kate Kealey is involved in many more ways than just being a student. For example, she takes on the role of being Editor in Chief for the Beak ‘n’ Eye. She is very excited for the responsibilty and opportunity that comes with this position.

Kealey participates on the track team and she has done it ever since 6th grade.

Kealey loves being ‘in charge of staff but it is a lot of work to get the paper edited and looking really good.

For Kealey, spreading the love of journalism and helping other staff members see that is very important to her. She also enjoys the responsibility and stress that comes with editing the newspaper.

Written by Tyler Newman

• Falcon Nest continues to grow

News

Leo club helps hunger drive

• Falcon Nest continues to grow

News

WINGs Club hosts guest speaker

• Falcon Nest continues to grow

News

Students plan to take on Italy

• Falcon Nest continues to grow

News

Challenging hunger

• Falcon Nest continues to grow

Multimedia

First fall pep aud of the 2018-2019 year

Falcon Nest continues to grow