2018 Charity Week recap

Biology teacher Renne Lietz and her honors biology students dressed in their Blue Out outfits. "I thought it was cool how blue out day was part of charity week because of autism awareness," Lietz said.

Mackenzi Burns, Reporter

During the 2018 Charity Week, students and staff alike participated in spirit days, and other activities raising funds for student senate to donate. Charity Week was run by Student Senate and all proceeds went to the Falcon Nest and various programs here at West.

“The Student Senate chose to give the proceeds to the Falcon Nest. They feel close ties to the Falcon Nest,” Student Senate adviser and English teacher David Kintigh said.

Spirit days consisted of Fashion Disaster day, Vacation Day, Workout Wednesday, Disney Day, and Blue Out Day. Students were also able to participate in various activities such as the Freddie Falcon pageant, student v. staff basketball game, variety show, and scavenger hunt. These events had great turnouts and successful tickets sales.

“It was a lot of hard work, but I think it was a great turnout. I had a lot of bumps in the road when it came to finding people to play but it was worth it in the end,” student senate member Emily Brooks said about the student v. staff basketball game she planned.

Overall the 2018 charity week raised over $3,500 not including the BOGO (Buy one give one) reusable grocery bags they are selling.

“With the goals we set out to do for the various groups I would say we’re successful. We are also purchasing things off of the wishlist the Nest has,” Kintigh said.

Senior DJ Mosley shows off his skills with a slam dunk in the second half of the game.

About the Contributors
Mackenzi Burns, Reporter
Mackenzi Burns is a sophomore and reporter for the Beak ‘n’ Eye. She is also on the cheer team and enjoys going to sports events for West. In her free time she enjoys hanging out with friends and watching YouTube videos. After high school, Mackenzi plans to attend the University of Iowa to study Nursing....
Emma Day, Marketing Director
Emma Day is the 2017-2018 Social Media Manager for the Beak ‘n’ Eye. She is a junior who enjoys writing and listening to music in her spare time. This is her second year being a part of the Beak ‘n’ Eye staff and she wouldn’t want it any other way. Emma hopes that her role...
Hannah Andrews, News Editor
Hannah Andrews is a sophomore and a reporter for the Beak ‘n’ Eye. This is Hannah’s first year at West, and she is very excited to further her knowledge in many different subjects. In Hannah’s free time, she likes to listen to music and spend time with family and friends. After high school, Hannah plans...
  • News

Fall sports kickoff generates optimism for Falcon Nation

• 2018 Charity Week recap

News

Public forum held to address school closures

• 2018 Charity Week recap

News

Falcon Nest continues to grow

• 2018 Charity Week recap

News

2018 graduates prepare to walk the stage

• News

2018 Falcon graduates enjoy senior picnic

• 2018 Charity Week recap

News

2018 boys track places at State

• 2018 Charity Week recap

News

Charity Week: Freddy Falcon pageant

• 2018 Charity Week recap

News

Anatomy and Physiology students visit cadaver lab

• 2018 Charity Week recap

News

Charity Week: Disney Day

• 2018 Charity Week recap

News

Chromebook turn-in

2018 Charity Week recap