One last drop for the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center

Naomi Walker

Junior Emma Day gives blood.

Naomi Walker, Reporter

Update: West donated a total of 93 pints at the Apr. 19 blood drive.

On Apr. 19 the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center held the last blood drive of the school year in the YMCA gym from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

“The goal for this blood drive is to make sure the students who are close to hitting their gallon grad receive it so they can get their cord and certificate of completion at the end of the semester,” donor relations coordinator Amy Kent said.

According to Kent, the actual blood goal for the day was 120. They were hoping for more than the goal in order to recuperate from a blood drive cancellation yesterday. The cancellation made them down 45 units (180 blood products).

“Lately, we have seen a big decline at this school and I am not really sure why. I would definitely be up to hearing thoughts of ways to get everyone excited about donating,” Kent said.

According to the 13-year phlebotomist, Laurie Reeves, donating is a great way to give back to the community. The hospitals need blood everyday, and the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center supplies many hospitals in the area, so if they can retain their donors that would be great.

Juniors Alexa Glandon, Mason Dunn, Katherine Kealey, and Emma Bernick are working the high school donation challenge this summer for the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center. The challenge will be held on July 14 at the NorthPark Mall. In order to donate, you must contact any of these four students to get on the list.

“Don’t be stressed out about donating because it is not that bad. There are a lot of people to talk to you and you will forget that it is even going to happen,” senior gallon donor Mary Baril said.

The MVRBC does not have the results for how much blood was given today yet. The student volunteers noticed that they were not close to their donor goal. They took it upon themselves to go to classes to recruit donors.

“Always give donating at least one try, see what you think about it because a lot of the time fear can be our biggest obstacle and if the face that fear and do not like it, you do not have to do it again,” Kent said.