The truth about the future of IGESS

Danielle Stevens

IGESS teachers Ryan DeGeeter and Jason Hensel assist a group with an assignment.

Danielle Stevens, Reporter

IGESS stands for Integrated Geometry Earth and Space Science, a class run by math teacher Ryan DeGeeter and science teacher Jason Hensel.  Both teachers have been a part of IGESS for four years, but there has been a rumor swirling around that IGESS might be over as of next year.

IGESS is different from the typical geometry and science classes. This class channels students’ inner creativity through hands-on projects.

“In my personal opinion, I think IGESS is more strenuous than regular geometry because of the amount of material covered on top of the projects at the conclusion of every two chapters,” DeGeeter said.

The purpose of IGESS is for students to be able to apply geometry and science in a diverse way outside of school.

““We have aligned the standards from geometry and Earth and Space Science to in such a way that students can apply the geometry to the science and vice versa,” Hensel said. “It [IGESS] gives students a chance to show what they have learned in applicable ways that they choose.”

IGESS uses the same techniques that are used for other classes such as guided instruction, research, group collaboration and presenting skills.               

“The students have a given set of parameters and then imaginative freedom to apply to their interests,” Hensel said.

Since IGESS has begun, both teachers have enjoyed the class and the students.                                                                                                                                                                                                    

“I have been able to express myself in what I do because we have a lot of choices in this class,” freshman Luke Heinrichs said.

Both Hensel and DeGeeter enjoy not only teaching, but being able to see how creative all of their students are.

“I love seeing students apply their interests and strengths to the applicable geometry and science standards. The students that we have are not only intelligent, but also imaginative and creative,” DeGeeter said.

Confirmed by Principal Jenni Weipert, IGESS will not be offered next year. Weipert and the specialists within the district looked through the program as a whole and made the decision to go back to seperate classes.

“The teachers will still teach the regular courses like geometry and Earth and Space Science, they’re just not going to combine them,” Weipert said.