West hosts Steamwheelers game

Marching+Band+plays+their+%22Wicked%22+show+during+halftime+at+the+Steamwheelers+game+on+Feb.+25.+Steamwheelers+fans+can+use+the+promo+code+DWEST+for+the+duration+of+the+season+and+20+percent+of+the+proceeds+go+to+West.+
Marching Band plays their

Marching Band plays their "Wicked" show during halftime at the Steamwheelers game on Feb. 25. Steamwheelers fans can use the promo code DWEST for the duration of the season and 20 percent of the proceeds go to West.

Photo published with permission by Maggie Oates

Naomi Walker, Reporter

West’s Diamond Dancers, Pep-Band, and Marching Band performed at the Steamwheelers game on Sunday, Feb. 25. The varsity football team was also honored at the game.

This is the first year that the Steamwheelers football team has returned to the Quad-Cities.

The Steamwheelers started an outreach program where high schools host their football games.

“[The Diamond Dancers] got to dance in front of a crowd that we normally wouldn’t dance for and now more people know about us,” junior and Diamond Dancer Presley Roseman said.

West Boosters got 20 percent of the profits made the night of the game.

“[The] Steamwheelers promotion runs the whole season. West was the host of the first game but if anyone attends the rest of the Steamwheelers games and uses the promo code ‘DWEST’ [to purchase tickets], we will continue to get 20 percent of the profits until the end of the season,” Athletic Director Kevin Petersen said.

Although the dancers and band members won’t be performing at the rest of the games, Petersen encourages students to use the promo code if they plan to attend Steamwheelers’ games in the future.

“This game benefited the football team by getting to see a higher level team play and getting to watch those professional athletes doing their thing was great,” West football coach Justin Peters said.

About the Writer
Naomi Walker, Co-Media Editor and Business Manager
Senior Naomi Walker is currently a Co-Media Editor and Business Manager for the West High Beak ‘n’ Eye. Walker is a little undecided when it comes to what she wants to do in the future. She believes she either wants to go to Purdue University in Indiana or Iowa State University. At either of those...
  • West hosts Steamwheelers game

News

Fifty-eight students inducted into National Honors Society

• West hosts Steamwheelers game

News

Welding students refurbish 9/11 memorial

• West hosts Steamwheelers game

News

Pepper spray mishap sparks concern about safety

• West hosts Steamwheelers game

News

Drumming up awareness to beat the stigma

• West hosts Steamwheelers game

News

West’s Nest ready for new school year

West hosts Steamwheelers game