Breaking News
  • BUY YOUR 2023 YEARBOOK IN THE FRONT OFFICE OR ONLINE NOW

Featured Staff Profile

Math Defends Lip Sync Title

Faculty competes for the 2023 Lip Sync Champion
“I owe my confidence to the many fans who brought the energy” principal Mr. Orfitelli said.

After weeks of anticipation and numerous setbacks, the day the students and faculty had all been waiting for… LIP SYNC BATTLE. The Math Westie Besties, Security Department and the Silly Singers all went head to head for the title of Lip Sync Champion. Each group spent weeks preparing and practicing show stopping routines so they can have a chance to secure a first place victory. 

The Lip Sync Battle was one of the most effective ways to raise money for the student hunger drive. Most of the contestants were doing it to benefit charity, others were doing it to continue traditions. 

“We won it last year, so we have to continue the tradition of the Westie Besties math department winning the lip sync battle,” teacher Ms. Bross said.

Each year it continues to get more intense, with new staff members joining in hopes of taking down last year’s winner. Going into the lip sync battle, teams were filled with confidence and excitement. 

“We feel really good, usually the underdogs win so I’m not worried,” principal Mrs. Williams said. 

The battle started off with the Silly Singers, lip syncing to “Barbie World” by Nicki Minaj and Ice Spice. During the performance Mrs Murphy, counselor at West High School, skated across the stage throwing out candy to the audience. Creating a fun and positive atmosphere. 

“I think the Silly Singers could have had more flavor, but I really liked their song choice. They were very creative with the idea”. student Alissa Nguyen said. 

Next up was the Math Westie Besties singing the “Price Tag Medley”, inspired by the movie Pitch Perfect. They also had a creative outfit change mid-performance.

“I loved the math westie besties and I really love Pitch Perfect so when they performed it I was such a fan. I think Ms. Bross popped off, she was the MVP”. student Kerstan Truong said.

Lastly, the Security Department performed a remix of songs which included, “SkeeYee” by Sexyy Red, “Savage” by Megan Thee Stallion, and lastly “All I do is Win” by DJ Khaled. The crowd was told to turn on their flashlights creating a realistic concert atmosphere. 

After the judges saw the three talented teams’ performances, they chose to elect the Security Department to be the new face of the Lip Sync Battle champions.