Retiree: Joy Saladino

Joy+Saladino+helps+freshman+Samantha+Gilliland+with+advanced+Microsoft+Office.++

Joseph Potts

Joy Saladino helps freshman Samantha Gilliland with advanced Microsoft Office.

Joseph Potts, Reporter

Q: How long have you been working at West?

A: I have been teaching 34 years. I earned my Bachelor of Arts from Marycrest College (1976-1980), then earned a teaching degree from Northern Illinois from 1980-82 – this was a total of six years. My husband and I earned a Master’s in Education from Western Illinois University, which probably took another four years because we could only take one class a term because we both coached, and we were raising five children.  

Q: What made you decide to become a teacher?

A: I enjoy working with kids. They keep you young and energetic.

Q: Did you want to be anything else besides a teacher?

A: I wanted to go into interior decorating, which I’m really bad at, then I wanted to run a restaurant, but hated the hours. So, I subbed in Illinois and absolutely loved it. I then decided to go back to college and get a teaching degree. This was after I already earned my Bachelor’s of Arts Degree in Business. I was 23 years old and changing careers to become a teacher.

Q: What are your plans after you retire?

A: We [Mr and Mrs. Saladino] plan on hunting, traveling and subbing.

Q: What classes have you taught?

A: I was the the lead teacher behind the creation of the Business Academy and taught that for 10 years.

Q: What was your favorite thing you do while teaching?

A: I used to love doing the Air Bands for Charity Week at West, the kids would love it and the teachers had a lot of fun doing it.

Q: What will you miss the most about teaching?

A: I will miss the connection with the kids. I really enjoy getting to know my students. I will really miss lunches with my co-workers.