Senior Spotlight: Mary Baril

Emma Day

“My spirit animal has to be a sloth because I like hanging from trees and I can be a bit slow at times.”

Emma Day, Social Media Manager

1. How does it feel to be a senior?

Being a senior is one of the greatest feelings but also one of the saddest feelings. It’s a great feeling because that means I get to start the next chapter in life, but I’m also sad to be a senior because that means I part different ways with my friends.

2. What was the most memorable part of your high school experiences?

The most memorable part of my high school experiences was getting involved in show choir and theatre. I made so many new friends over the last four years and I’m so so grateful to have all of them with me throughout high school.

3. Did you have any struggles through high school? How did you overcome them?

I had a lot of struggles through high school. One of them was not asking for help when I had the chance to because I was too embarrassed. I overcame that struggle by asking the teacher, “how do I do this” or “can you show me one more time”, etc. I realized it doesn’t hurt to ask for extra help.

4. What was your school anthem?

The anthem I listen to on the way to school is “Sober Up” by AJR feat. Rivers Cuomo. It’s got a nice story behind it which I enjoy a ton, and it gets me ready for the day.

5. What motivates you to get out of bed each day?

What motivates me each day to get out of bed is the fact that I get to see all of my friends at school.

6. What “clique” were you in high school, how do you feel about it?

I don’t think I was ever in a “clique” during my high school career, but I more floated from one group to another. Each group was unique, which I loved because I got to see everyone’s personality. I loved all the “cliques” I got to be apart of.

7. What do you want to after high school?

I want to become a speech pathologist with a minor in psychology at Augustana. After college, I hope to open my own private practice.

8. What were you all involved in in high school?

For the four years of high school, I was involved in choir and show choir. Junior year I was involved in Seussical The Musical, and this year I was in the 10 minute plays and the musical Oklahoma.

9. Who was your favorite teacher? Why?

My favorite teacher(s) would probably be Mr. Finley and Mrs. Schloemer because they have taught me how to become a better singer, and open my eyes more to music. Without them I don’t think I would have gotten involved with music and show choir.

10. What will you miss the most about high school?

I think I will miss seeing all my friends face’s everyday in the halls and laughing with them. I’ll also miss waking up early Saturday in the winter for show choir.

11. Do you have any advice for students entering high school?

My advice for students entering high school is enjoy the little things. Go to all of the school functions, especially football and basketball games, the plays, etc. But also do all of your homework on time and go to all the school’s dances, they’re a blast.

12. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I see myself getting out of college and either working in my own private practice or working for a school somewhere in the Quad Cities. I also want a lot of dogs, so that’s a must.

13. What is your best achievement you’ve accomplished in high school?

My best achievement that I’ve accomplished would be getting one of the leads in this year’s musical.

14. Do you have a motto that you live by?

My motto is, “Go big or go home.” I say that for everything and to everybody. It doesn’t hurt being a little extra every once in a while.