Sophomore football continues hot streak

TJ Rhodes, Sports Reporter

Sophomores faced North High School on Sept. 15. West sat this game on the visiting side of Brady Street Stadium.

The game started off slow. The first quarter came and went without a score on the board. The team was missing key player sophomore quarterback Zach Trevino. Last week Trevino led them to victory.

“It sucks after starting 3-0, I had to sit (due to last week’s leg injury) but I knew that the team was going to come through and take the win,” Trevino said.

In the second quarter, North blocked West’s punt in the endzone, resulting in a safety. North scored first early in the quarter, 2-0.

Sophomore running back Seve Armenta continued to impress with good runs and solid tackles on defense.

West broke through with a touchdown from sophomore tight end Payton Heath. West was up 7-2.

“Everybody does their job on the field and makes little [to no] mistakes,” Heath said.

With a pass interference call with two seconds left in the half, a shot was created to the endzone for West. They did not capitalize on the opportunity.

The third quarter was a defensive struggle. Neither team could manage to start a drive, until West scored another touchdown. Armenta scored the seven yard touchdown run to give West the 14-2 lead.

“It feels great to know all our hard work is paying off,” Heath said.

A personal highlight of the game for Heath was when the defense shut North out during the second quarter.

West went on to win the game and moved to 4-0 .

“It felt amazing and exciting… It’s the family and brotherhood that makes the team,” Armenta said.

West will go to Dubuque to play Dubuque Senior on Sept. 22.