Soccer holds trivia night for new scoreboard

Soccer trivia night is Saturday, Apr. 7 at the Walcott Coliseum. Proceeds will go to purchasing a new scoreboard for West's soccer field.

Hannah Andrews, Reporter

On Saturday, Apr. 7, the boys and girls soccer teams will be hosting a trivia night at the Walcott Coliseum.

You can reserve a table that seats up to eight people. It is $10 dollars per person to attend. The trivia night has been a recurring event for the past two years.

Our previous trivia nights have been a great success,” head girls soccer coach Kelly Schroeder said. “We have raised over $5,000 dollars each year we have done it.”

Just like in previous years, the soccer teams will be hosting this event to better their home field for the season to come.

The goal of this trivia night is to raise money in particular for a scoreboard,” head boys soccer coach Jon Sandoval said. “Davenport West is the only school within 90 miles of the QC not to have a scoreboard. The scoreboard is the major piece that is missing.”

In previous seasons, the West soccer teams would have to be bussed out to the Davenport Soccer Complex for home games because they didn’t have all of the equipment [the scoreboard] to host a proper game at West.

“We are the eighth largest school in Iowa and we don’t have a scoreboard,” varsity soccer player and sophomore Taras Taylor said. “It’s embarrassing as a team and school.”

When it comes to sports and other activities run through the school, players and coaches take pride in what they do.

“This isn’t just about soccer, it’s about having a sense of pride throughout all West athletics,” Sandoval said.

About the Writer
Hannah Andrews, News Editor
Hannah Andrews is a junior and News Editor for the Beak ‘n’ Eye at West High School. Andrews lives with her grandparents, but when asked who her greatest influence is she cited her older sister, who was her role model through childhood. Her sister told her she should participate in school activities, and her mom...
  • Soccer holds trivia night for new scoreboard

News

Leo club helps hunger drive

News

WINGs Club hosts guest speaker

News

Students plan to take on Italy

News

Challenging hunger

Multimedia

First fall pep aud of the 2018-2019 year