Diamond Dancers dance their way to earn three division one ratings

Amanda Roseman

Diamond Dancers performed against some tough competitors from across Iowa at ISDTA State Dance and Drill Team Competition earning division ratings in all categories. photo published with permission by Amanda Roseman

Hannah Myers, Reporter

On Friday, Dec. 1 the Diamond Dancers competed in the ISDTA (Iowa State Drill Team Association) competition. Their routines consisted of three different types of dances: kick, pom and contemporary.

Dancers are judged differently in each category. For kick, judges look for straight legs and pointed toes. For pom, they look for sharpness. For contemporary dance, they look for motion.

Diamond Dancers received division one ratings for all three routines.

“It was really cool when we received division one ratings, knowing that our hard work paid off,” sophomore dancer Franki Manuel said.

The Diamond Dancers began learning their routines the first week of school. With practices twice a week and four weekend practices the Diamond Dancers prepared for state competition.

“I think that we deserved the division one for all the routines. We worked really hard and danced really well,” freshman dancer Serena Arguello said.

The dancers received division one which is one of the highest scoring you can receive.

“I was really happy that we received division one ratings and since it’s my first year. There’s only room to grow.” freshman dancer Kennedy Wink said.