Hop off the anti-West band wagon

West High School sits on the corner of Fairmount and Locust Street in Davenport, Iowa.

Martin Morales

Martin Morales

Hannah Andrews, Reporter

West is not a bad school. However, it seems like everyone who doesn’t attend West has a contradictory opinion.

The negative things seen on social media or heard on the news do not define who we are at West, nor should it reflect what West is capable of.

From the Jan. 28 “Quad-City Times” editorial about the Davenport district’s suspensions being the “punishment de jour,” to the Mar. 7 news brief from KWQC about “multiple squad cars” responding to West due to a fight, it is not surprising that West’s reputation has been tarnished. And, if one were to read the comments on the articles, one would be appalled by the name calling, finger pointing and ridicule.

Consistent, negative media does not help.

“Social media has a large effect on the word getting around so quickly,” associate principal Guy Heller said.

Now, it is true that West has their fights, but so does every other school.

I transferred to West from North Scott, and I have seen an equal amount of fights happen at both schools. Even though North Scott has approximately 600 less students than West, I still saw the same things there that I do here at West.

“West has a lot to offer,” senior Jordyn Driscoll said. “I’m in Falcon Friends that has helped me realize I wanted to be a special education teacher.”

West has so many different opportunities including: STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) programs, the INSPIRE program, a career education program that offers five pathways for students in computer programming, engineering, health services, business, and advanced manufacturing, all of which come with college opportunities, award-winning robotics teams, speech and debate team, show choir, an award-winning music department, a journalism program, intelligent and insightful students that care about the community they live in, experienced teachers, many of whom have advanced degrees, and are passionate about helping students grow and prosper into successful citizens, and so much more.

So why isn’t this in the news instead of suspensions and fights?

“You have administrators and teachers that have their kids go through West, you would imagine if it was as bad as some might think it is, we [administrators and teachers] wouldn’t have our [own] kids attending West,” Heller said.

So, the next time you hear or see something about West, really think about it and do some fact checking. Not everything you may hear is true.

West is a great school with so many opportunities. West is so much more than the social media negative effects that we have seen a little too much of in the media lately.

About the Contributors
Hannah Andrews, News Editor

Hannah Andrews is a junior and News Editor for the Beak ‘n’ Eye at West High School.

Andrews lives with her grandparents, but when asked who her greatest influence is she cited her older sister, who was her role model through childhood.

Her sister told her she should participate in school activities, and her mom inspired her to do newspaper because her mother had done it in high school.

In her free time Andrews works a lot-about 30 hours a week over summer break. She has a customer service job at HyVee.

Andrews plans to take dual-credit college courses to finish out her last two years of high school. She finds psychology interesting and may pursue that in her future.

Written by Laurence Walker

Martin Morales, Reporter

Martin Morales is a Junior and a reporter for the Beak N’ Eye. This is his first year on staff. He’s happy to use his writing and photography skills to contribute to the newspaper. He has a surprising knack for history, as it is his favorite subject in school. He is also an avid weightlifter and has a passion for health and working out. He hopes to join the Airforce as a pilot and pursue a degree in business.

• Hop off the anti-West band wagon

Award Winners

Coalition of young voters

• Hop off the anti-West band wagon

Columns

Anxiety: you’re probably doing it wrong

• Hop off the anti-West band wagon

Columns

Friday night fights

• Hop off the anti-West band wagon

Columns

Just a friendly reminder: Grown men hitting on underaged girls is not okay

• Hop off the anti-West band wagon

Columns

Letter to the Editor: Why I chose not to walk out

Hop off the anti-West band wagon