Movie review: “A Quiet Place”

Paramount Pictures

Paramount Pictures

Danielle Stevens, Reporter

On Apr. 6, the newly anticipated thriller movie “A Quiet Place” hit theatres. It made 50 million dollars in the box office once it was released and rated a 97 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

“A Quiet Place” highlights a family that is coerced into being silent because of blind creatures in the forests that hunt by sound.

I had gone to the movie theater with my uncle on Apr. 7 and it literally pushed me to the edge of my seat. The movie itself was very eerie and mysterious, and it was definitely out of the ordinary.

If you even make a little sound, the creatures could find you and you may end up being mangled. For example, in the beginning the family is at an abandoned store trying to find necessities to survive. The youngest child finds a NASA rocket toy that makes really loud noises at the store, and he snuck it out even though his parents said no. They were walking home, but stopped dead in their tracks when they heard the toy making noise. The next thing, there is rustling in the woods and all you see is the kid getting snatched away by some grotesque creature.

This movie contains gore and some scenes that are violent. For example, there is a scene where the very pregnant mother is attempting to walk up stairs with a bag filled with clothing. She tries to keep silent, but ends up stepping on a nail that was sticking out of the stairs. Shortly after, she kept attempting to pull her foot out of the nail without screaming in agony. Her foot was bleeding out and whenever she walked, there were bloody footprints tracked around the house.

My favorite part was when the father and his son headed out to a gorgeous waterfall. Since the waterfall was so loud, they were allowed to talk and make loud noises without being hunted by the creatures. It was very heartwarming to see how strong their father-son bond is.

Another thing I liked about the movie was the interaction with the audience. You were able to imagine what it is really like to live in silence. For example, there were times it went completely silent to be in the point-of-view of the daughter, who is deaf. 

Overall, the movie was chilling and fascinating. The acting, scenery and the plot was  well developed. The movie was not necessarily frightening, but the eeriness is what kept me going. I give it five stars.

If you haven’t already, check your local movie theater to see what times the movie is playing throughout the day.

Next showings in the area:

Davenport 53rd

Saturday and Sunday:

11:05 a.m., 12:15 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:45 p.m., 3:55 p.m., 5:15 p.m., 6:30 p.m., 7:45 p.m., 9:05 p.m., 10:15 p.m.

Regal Moline

Saturday and Sunday:

12:35 p.m., 2:50 p.m., 5:05 p.m., 8:00 p.m., 9:45 p.m., 10:25 p.m.

• Movie review: “A Quiet Place”

Columns

Just a friendly reminder: Grown men hitting on underaged girls is not okay

• Movie review: “A Quiet Place”

Columns

Letter to the Editor: Why I chose not to walk out

• Movie review: “A Quiet Place”

Columns

Adults walk over the walkout

• Movie review: “A Quiet Place”

Columns

Hop off the anti-West band wagon

• Movie review: “A Quiet Place”

Columns

Good-bye P.E.?

• Movie review: “A Quiet Place”

Columns

Alternatives to arming teachers

• Opinion

Play Review: “Wicked”

• Movie review: “A Quiet Place”

Opinion

If you’re sick, stay home

• Movie review: “A Quiet Place”

Opinion

Book review: “How to Hang a Witch”

• Movie review: “A Quiet Place”

Opinion

The dangers of social media

Movie review: “A Quiet Place”