West’s Nest ready for new school year

West’s food pantry prepares to start its second year

The main function of the Falcon Nest is to act as a food pantry for West students.

Hanna Seago, Managing Editor

West’s own food pantry has begun operation for the school year. The Falcon Nest is run by Jenn O’Hare and provides students and their families with a full service food pantry, clothing closet, laundry room and basic need supply center.

“I would say we try to help with basic needs. So food, to help supplement families, and we have clothing and personal hygiene products available as well,” O’Hare said.

The Nest is open on the following dates from 2:30 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.:

Monday, 9/10/18

Monday, 9/24/18

Monday, 10/08/18

Monday, 10/22/18

Monday, 11/26/18

Monday, 12/10/18

Monday, 1/14/19

Monday, 1/28/19

Monday, 2/11/19

Monday, 2/25/19

Monday, 3/25/19

Monday, 4/08/19

Monday, 5/13/19

Student senate has played a crucial role in the development of the food pantry. For the past two years, the club has selected the food pantry as the charity it supports for charity week. They have helped to fund the washer and dryer in the pantry as well as raising funds for miscellaneous objects to help keep the pantry organized.

“The reason why we help the pantry because we know that our donations and work goes to not just the community, but people in our own school,” Student Senate President and senior Presley Roseman said.

Student senate plans to help out more with the pantry this year as well. Their goal is to have a charity semester rather than a charity week due to their class now being year-round.

“There are many students and families at West that benefit from the food pantry, but families and students that donate to the food pantry also benefit by knowing that they’re helping out,” Student Senate Advisor Christine Coyne-Logan said.