Madison Cousins awarded Dooley Scholarship

Hannah Andrews

Hannah Andrews, Reporter

Senior Madison Cousins was awarded the $20,000 2018 Dr. Thomas Anthony Dooley Memorial Scholarship at 10:00 a.m. Thursday, April 19, 2018. The scholarship is awarded to a student in the Davenport Community School District in the top 10 percentile of their graduating class. Along with considering the class rank, ACT scores and Advanced Placement courses that have been completed successfully.

“I knew what I was walking into, I was so elated with the ceremony. My parents and counselors that have helped me were there. I was proud of myself because I was able to represent West and show that you can accomplish a lot and get a good education here,” Cousins said.

About the Contributor
Hannah Andrews, News Editor

Hannah Andrews is a junior and News Editor for the Beak ‘n’ Eye at West High School.

Andrews lives with her grandparents, but when asked who her greatest influence is she cited her older sister, who was her role model through childhood.

Her sister told her she should participate in school activities, and her mom inspired her to do newspaper because her mother had done it in high school.

In her free time Andrews works a lot-about 30 hours a week over summer break. She has a customer service job at HyVee.

Andrews plans to take dual-credit college courses to finish out her last two years of high school. She finds psychology interesting and may pursue that in her future.

Written by Laurence Walker