National Honor Society caffeinates West three times a week

Samantha Makl

NHS treasurer Whitney Martinez putting a shot of flavor into a cup of espresso while secretary Heather Statz is getting another order prepared.

Samantha Makl, Reporter

Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, National Honor Society sets a table up in the cafeteria and brings out different kinds of teas, coffees and  hot chocolate. The NHS Coffee Shop is available to be West students’ number one source of caffeine or just something to drink on a cold, winter morning.

“We do a handful of different types of coffee, hot chocolate, and lattes. It’s a dollar for coffee and hot chocolate and then extras like whipped cream and flavoring are a quarter more,” senior and president of NHS Sophie Buckley said.

Right now, it is only available before school in the cafeteria from 7:30-8:10.

“We opened it last year and it took us a while to really get it together due to having to get all of the equipment and the vendors,” NHS advisor David Kintigh said.

The NHS coffee shop offers students cheap, hot beverages, and it also benefits NHS. Twelve ounces of hot coffee or tea at any popular coffee shop here in the Quad Cities (such as Atomic Coffee Bar, Coffee Revolution, etc.) can cost up to $4 dollars. At the NHS Coffee Shop, an eight ounces of hot coffee or tea costs about $1.50 including the sugar, creamer and flavoring.

“It’s beneficial, because students can get coffee, tea, or hot chocolate without having to pay an outrageous amount at other coffee shops, all while helping out a student organization at West! It’s also in the school so accessibility isn’t a problem! Plus, it’s a great way to get volunteer hours for NHS members,” senior and vice president of NHS Hannah Jones said.

NHS offers a wide variety of flavoring such as pumpkin spice, french vanilla, English toffee and more. Their tea selection includes Georgia peach, earl grey, green tea and more. They also have a wide selection of different kinds of coffee such as The Donut Shoppe, breakfast blend, espresso and more.

“[I recommend purchasing] hot chocolate with whipped cream, for sure!” Jones said.

The NHS Coffee Shop is also a way to earn volunteer hours. Any student interested in working at the NHS Coffee Shop can contact David Kintigh to get involved.