Fearlessly Girl non-profit emboldens female Falcons

Professional American tennis player Madison Keys converses with Fearlessly Girl girls before show time.

Dani Reitz

Dani Reitz

Dani Reitz, Reporter

On Nov. 17, the non-profit foundation Fearlessly Girl held their largest anti-bullying assembly in Centennial Hall at Augustana College. The assembly was live-streamed to over 7,000 people across 22 states.

In the hall, excitement rippled through the air. Women and girls from all over the Quad-Cities gathered together, all sharing the mutual passion of empowering and emboldening  women. As the lights in the hall dimmed, voices became smaller as the anticipation for what was yet to come grew.

It was at this time when founder Kate Whitfield and professional tennis player Madison Keys  were introduced to the anxious audience and the show began. Over the course of the assembly, Whitfield and Keys talked about important women’s issues and various ways to deal with and overcome them.

“Us women are so good at talking, but not about the things that truly matter,”  Whitfield said.

There were 25 female students that attended the show from West High’s WINGS Club. WINGS is a club that works with the community to empower the next generation of females. Of these 25 girls was Remas Alzahrani. This was her first time at such a large event for women.

“I personally came because I love organizations that empower women and help them speak out and be who they are, unapologetically themselves,” Alzahrani said.

Alzahrani was very excited and passionate about the impact the assembly would have on the women and society as a whole.

“I think it’s very important because if women in a society are not educated enough. There is no chance for that society to survive,” Alzahrani said.

Guidance counselor Stephanie Iavarone was the coordinator of West’s representation at the assembly and firmly believes it is important for girls to attend such events.

“It helps them understand that what they are going through is not unique to just them. A lot of other girls are going through similar things. I think it showed kinship and friendship and it gave them a way to relate to other girls and open up to their friends about things that may be bothering them,” Iavarone said.

About the Contributor
Dani Reitz, Opinion Editor
Dani Reitz is junior and reporter for the Beak ’n’ Eye. As one who is fascinated by literature and language, journalism is a perfect fit for her passions. When she isn’t playing sports, Dani enjoys to read, write and travel every chance she gets. In the future Dani wishes to pursue a career in global...
  • News

Fall sports kickoff generates optimism for Falcon Nation

• Fearlessly Girl non-profit emboldens female Falcons

News

Public forum held to address school closures

News

Falcon Nest continues to grow

News

2018 graduates prepare to walk the stage

• News

2018 Falcon graduates enjoy senior picnic

News

2018 boys track places at State

News

2018 Charity Week recap

News

Charity Week: Freddy Falcon pageant

News

Anatomy and Physiology students visit cadaver lab

News

Charity Week: Disney Day