Thinking about the future

What options students have after completing high school

Hannah Myers

West’s guidance office frequently posts information about college experiences.

Hannah Myers, Reporter

There are a couple paths people can take after high school: military service, college/trade school, and the workforce.

For 2017, How To E-D-U says, “Statistically shown on average drop-outs can earn about $18,734, High School graduates make $27,915, College graduates can receive $51,206.”

There are people who question why it is important to go to college.

“College is not just the four year university route. It may include a two year associate’s degree that could include any technical training trade school such as Capri College and Hamilton Tech,” guidance counselor Erin Soedt said.

Education after high school is typically based upon what career field people plan to go into.

“There are other programs out there that involve additional training, it’s all called post secondary education and all of that is important when we graduate from high school. We may not have acquired the skills necessary to fill the jobs available. There are lots of jobs available out there, we just have to be willing to work and learn those skills,” Soedt said

On April 27, 2017, Bureau of Labor Statistics says, “In October 2016, 69.7 percent of 2016 high school graduates were enrolled in colleges or universities, the U.S.”

Many people find in their senior year that they have many open blocks after taking their mandatory classes.

“The more classes you can take in high school the better. When I have seniors who have open blocks and they are not sure what they want to be when they grow up it breaks my heart a little.” Soedt said.

Taking elective classes expands student’s education on studies outside of the mandatory classes.

“I think if they were willing to stay and take more classes, even elective classes, they are going to expose themselves to more career fields and be able to make better educated decisions on what they want to be when they grow up. I think it would be important to explore other things that they aren’t sure about for the experience,” Soedt said.

Career Cruising can be a helpful source for people to explore career options and develop a plan for their future. It can be useful to identify what the best career is for a specific person based on questions answered. Identifying what job to take will help with deciding what classes to take in college.

“In most two to four year college settings, if you are going to be an English major, the first two years of most college degree programs, whether it’s an associate’s degree or a bachelor’s degree. There are general education courses similar to high school, just a little more advanced for when you are taking math, science, social studies, and language arts,” Soedt said.

Some classes may not be specific to the career that a student plans to go into but it can still have some benefits.

“They are furthering your communication skills and general knowledge in those basic areas, the reading, writing, and speaking skills you are learning in all of those subject areas transfer to any type of job you may have in the future,” Soedt said.

Senior Tristan Farmer is feeling unsatisfied with some of the classes he is taking because they don’t relate to his future plans.

“The thing I’m most excited about when I go to college is learning something that actually pertains to what I’m interested in doing. Right now I have to take classes like physics, which is nice to learn but it’s not something that I’m interested in using for the future,” Farmer said.

According to Mary Gonzales these are some colleges that will be visiting West in the next couple of months:

Oct. 31, 8:30 a.m Mount Mercy

Nov. 9, 9 a.m Scott Community College

Dec. 12, 9 a.m Scott Community College

Jan. 29, 1 p.m Scott Community College

Feb. 22, 1 p.m Scott Community College