Marching Band hosts ice cream social

Danielle Stevens, Managing Editor

West High Marching Band held their annual ice cream social on Thursday, Aug. 17. The band played “The Star-Spangled Banner”, the Falcon Fight song and ended with their marching show Wicked, to a crowd that lined the parking lot in front of West. The ice cream social kicks the school year off by showcasing the marching band music for the year and to fundraise for equipment.

“We had a very great turnout tonight,” drum major Skylar Bowrey said.

The ice cream social raises money for the band department. In order to do so, the marching band sells boosters such as custom made bags and pillows.

The band has been meeting Monday-Thursday for the past two weeks for three hours each dayfor summer band camp. Members come and practice their marching, formation and get music prepared for the football games. Members play during the pregame, whenever the football team gets a touchdown, halftime and when the football game is over.

“We are off to a very great start, I’m excited for this year,” band director Mark Kretschmer said.

A new school year means new members for the marching band. Incoming freshmen dedicate their time and learn the ropes of marching and specific commands.

“I think this is going to be a strong year because we have great freshmen,” drum major Molly Kretschmer said.

In September marching band will begin playing at football games and competitions. Both the band directors and the drum majors are excited about the new freshmen that have joined.

“I liked the introduction of each of the different grades this year. I thought that was something that was very neat to incorporate,” band director Maggie Oates said.

Marching band will be at most of the home games starting this year. Their first performance is at the first home football game versus Davenport Central on Sept. 1.

West High’s Marching Band performances

Sept. 1: West vs. Central at Brady Street Stadium at 6:15 p.m.

Sept. 8:West vs. Burlington at Brady Street Stadium at 6:30 p.m.

Sept. 28: Homecoming Parade and Bonfire at West’s track at 5:45 p.m.

Sept. 29:Homecoming football game at Brady Street Stadium at 6:30 p.m.

Oct. 10:Band Spectacular at Brady Street Stadium at 6:00 p.m.

Oct.12:West vs. West Dubuque at Brady Street Stadium at 6:30 p.m.

Oct.14: State Marching Competitions at Muscatine

Nov. 10: Veterans Parade in downtown Davenport at 9:30 a.m.

Nov. 18th: Festival of Trees parade downtown at 9:30 a.m