Top blood donors to be honored at graduation

Cha White, Editor

Hundreds of students have donated blood throughout the year, but a special 15 are being recognized at this year’s graduation for becoming a gallon grad. A gallon grad is basically a student who has donated one gallon of blood throughout the school year. These special students will get recognized at their graduation, and will get to wear a special cord with their graduation gown that shows they’re a gallon grad.

One hundred and fourteen students participated in the blood drive held April 7 in the west end of the YMCA gym. Unfortunately, 30 students were deferred because of health issues and travel complications. Luckily, 10 students donated double red, which is just a double donation of red blood cells.

“(I’m) very proud to be apart of the blood drive. (It) saves three lives for every pint,” said student volunteer Kevin Masterson.

This blood drive had fewer participants than the last three blood drives of the year. “A lot of people would’ve, but couldn’t,” explained Renee Leitz, AP Biology teacher who coordinates the blood drive. She said this week was a bad week to have the blood drive because of the Guys and Dolls play preview this morning and because of the spring sports.

“The blood drive is always a good day,” Lietz added, “because you know you’re doing something important.”