Humans of West-Senior Cami Schrier

Emma Bernick, News Editor

While some high schoolers spent their spring break relaxing at home or tanning on a beach, senior Cami Schrier traveled to Haiti and spent a week with her church helping to improve the lives of the people in Lascahobas.

When describing why the people of Lascahobas need help, Schrier said that she thinks of it like this: anyone can fold laundry on their own, but having help makes it easier and more efficient.

“We helped dig holes for bathrooms and we dug a hole in the kitchen [of a school] so that there would be a place to make lunches for the children,” Schrier explained.

Schrier traveled in a group of 11. They departed from Christ United Methodist Church on March 18 and returned on March 26.

During her stay, Schrier lived in a gated house with a security guard in case anything were to happen. The house is owned by RTS Missionaries who moved to Haiti from America several years ago.

“We had air conditioning and nice food. Sometimes the power went out because it was raining, but that was no big deal because it was so nice there,” Schrier said.

One thing that stood out to Schrier were the responsibilities that young girls were given.

“Girls that are about age 10 and up were required to take care of their younger siblings. When we were at a school or at a church I never saw mothers or fathers, just older sisters taking care of their younger siblings. It was interesting to me especially because it is frowned upon here for young girls to have children or have to take care of children,” Schrier said.

Schrier says what made her experience so memorable was seeing how different life in a 3rd world country is compared to life in America.

“When I came home, I saw how everyone is so rude and cruel. People always think ‘oh I wish I had that’, but down there they love their life and love what they have,” Schrier said.

Schrier advises anyone who is thinking about going on a mission trip to go for it.

“It is a life-changing experience to see how much we take for granted in America. Seeing kids walking on the side of the road with no shoes or not having food because they can’t afford it really makes you realize what you have and what you don’t,” Schrier said. 

• Humans of West-Senior Cami Schrier

Features

Cap and frown

• Humans of West-Senior Cami Schrier

Features

Thankful turkeys

• Humans of West-Senior Cami Schrier

Features

Treats and threats

• Humans of West-Senior Cami Schrier

Features

The nest food pantry

• Features

Most terrifying experience

• Humans of West-Senior Cami Schrier

Features

Catching the fall feels

• Humans of West-Senior Cami Schrier

Features

Spirit Week 2017

• Humans of West-Senior Cami Schrier

Features

Meet your 2017 Homecoming Court

• Humans of West-Senior Cami Schrier

Humans of West

Humans of West-Principal Jenni Weipert

• Humans of West-Senior Cami Schrier

Features

Administration Press Conference Q&A

Humans of West-Senior Cami Schrier