Interesting Infants

Celebrity children have very unique names.

A collage of celebrity baby names. The names ranged from simple to unheard of.

Maddox Hauschild, Reporter

Celebrities have a knack for individuality; to stand out amongst others. The names they come up with for their children are prime examples.

Students who keep up with celebrities on social media or other platforms know that celebrities love to announce the names of their children. Some names are simple and common, while other celebrities choose unique names. Ones that others would raise a brow.

Many celebrities choose something traditional for their children. Famous actor Will Smith’s daughter, Willow, is just a gender flipped version of Will’s. Social media star Abbie Herbert’s daughter’s name is Poppy, but also goes by Poot as a nickname. Famous actor Robert Downey Jr. has a son named Exton, who was named after his wife’s eccentric uncle. Celebrities Kim Kardashian and Kanye West named one of their daughters North. While it’s not traditional, freshman Malena Smigo likes the girl’s name. “I think [her name’s] cool because her last name is West,” she explained.

Some celebrities explore and push boundaries when naming their children. Celebrities Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott’s son was named Wolf, however, they have decided to change their son’s name, which has not been released publicly. Billionaire Elon Musk and artist Grimes’ son has been given a very intriguing name– X Æ A-Xii. His name has an interesting meaning as well. The X stands for the unknown variable, Æ is elven spelling for Ai, love and/or artificial intelligence, A-12, an aircraft, and A also stands for Archangel, Grimes’ favourite song. Actor Gwyneth Paltrow’s daughter was given the name Apple. Not a name someone would ever think to give their child, but Paltrow stated, “When we were first pregnant, her daddy said, ‘If it’s a girl I think her name should be Apple.’ It sounded so sweet, and it conjured such a lovely picture for me.”

When celebrities announce the names of their children, there are many people who wonder why these names were chosen out of thousands of others. Some people don’t think twice about the names either because they don’t care or like the names. Junior Isabel Martinez believes that celebrities name their kids the way they do just because they can. “It doesn’t really matter what they name their kid, they’re always going to be rich and famous,” she stated.

“I think [celebrities name their kids like they do] to be different… and have something unique,” Smigo stated.