• Davenport West High School news, sports and features.

• The bird's eye view of news that's important to you: WHS Today.com

Football team opens season with big win over North

The football team poses after the pep assembly on Aug. 27 in the gym. They went on to win the game against North that night 16-14.

Iris Hayslett

Iris Hayslett

Iris Hayslett, Editor

“Day by day, we get better and better, till we can’t be beat, won’t be beat” the football team shouts its new motto, and that’s exactly what the Falcons did in its season opener, defeating Davenport North 16-14 at Brady Stadium.

West fans had lots to cheer about as the Falcon football team got its first win after 22 straight losses.  Junior Dot Combs rushed 157 yards to score two touchdowns for West.  Junior Robert Bladel added a two-point conversion.

Combs said he was “just putting up the points and helping the team. The linemen were a big part in scoring those points, and the defense for making the last stand of the game.”

On the 12-yard line with seconds remaining, the Wildcats went for a game-winning touchdown pass, but it was deflected by West sophomore DJ Mosley.

New head football coach Justin Peters said this was an emotional win for the Falcons. He came from Colorado earlier this summer to head up the program.

Junior running back Matt Gillaspie said,  “At the end of the game, we were a family, because when a family comes together they can’t be stopped.”

The next game is Friday, Sept. 4, against Davenport Central.

Cheerleaders pose with the fans who dressed in a 1980's theme for the North football game.

Caylla Townley
Cheerleaders pose with the fans who dressed in a 1980’s theme for the North football game.