Marching Band struts into the 2017-2018 school year

Madison McNabb, Reporter

The Falcon Marching Band is at it again and is now preparing for the ‘17/’18 school year marching band show. This year the Falcon Marching Band is going to do the broadway show, Wicked which includes pieces “No One Mourns the Wicked”, “No Good Deed”, “Defying Gravity”, “Dancing Through life” and “For Good”.

“The first thing I always do is really look at the band and see where our strengths are,” band director Mark Kretschmer said about how he picks a show.

Kretschmer began looking at shows around the time that students returned to school from spring break.

“People that know it and maybe saw the broadway show- they love it,” Kretschmer said.

The Falcon Marching Band has not done a broadway themed show and Kretschmer wanted to expose the band to new styles of music.

“I kind of just latched onto Wicked and was like- that’s the one,” he shared.

Other possibilities for the ‘17/’18 school year show were shows like a Beatles Medley, or a Latin style music show. Kretschmer and the band have done a Latin type show on the field before, but it was long enough ago to where a new one could be conducted.

“I really enjoyed the styles of Latin, and playing Latin music on the field was kind of a kick,” Kretschmer said.

Kretschmer is excited for the new show and to see how it all comes together. He has been directing the marching band for over 30 years he still has never done a show like this. Band students should receive music for this show next week and will begin working on music then.

As for the show, band students will attend band camp in the summer to learn their drill, which is the choreography part of the show. The Falcon Marching Band will begin performing this as early as the first home football game of the ‘17/’18 school year.